News

Actions

Sandy residents evacuated for gas leak discovered in garage fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:11 AM, Aug 30, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-30 10:11:08-04

Sandy garage fire

SANDY, Utah – An overnight garage fire in Sandy led to evacuations that had nothing to do with the fire itself. Sandy garage fire 1

The Sandy Fire Department says a large two-story garage ignited around 11 p.m. near 10660 S. and 2100 E.

Flames had already burned 80-percent of the building by the time crews got there but they were able to put it out in less than 15 minutes.

But firefighters were surprised by a gas leak when they were turning off the utilities and evacuated nearby homes.

Firefighters say the garage was full of items when it burned.

Damage is estimated between $50,000 and $60,000.

No one was hurt.