Todd Kiser with the Utah Insurance Department gives some advice about Open Enrollment. The Utah Insurance Department is a state agency that regulates insurance marketed and sold in Utah. They provide a resource to help Utahns better understand what questions to ask and how to research the best plan for their individual needs.
There are 5 questions to get the best health coverage for 2017.
1. When is the open enrollment period?
a. Shopping for health insurance begins November 1, 2016 and ends January 31, 2017.
2. When will my insurance plan go into effect?
a. For coverage starting January 1, 2017, the deadline is December 15, 2016. For coverage starting February 1, 2017, the deadline is January 15, 2017. For coverage starting March 1, 2017, the deadline is January 31, 2017.
b. Bottom line: Make sure to enroll by December 15 if you need health insurance for all of 2017.
3. What kind of coverage is best for my family and me?
a. Every plan is different. Look at the plans themselves, the monthly premiums, the provider and non-provider networks and the deductible.
4. What if I choose the wrong plan?
a. Life events, like changing jobs or getting married, will let you switch to a new plan mid-year. It is possible to cancel a plan, but it is difficult and it may result in a tax penalty. It may be better to wait until the next open enrollment in 2017 to avoid additional costs and challenges.
5. How can an insurance agent help me?
a. Insurance agents are experts on insurance. There is no cost to get their advice and recommendations.
• To learn more about individual insurance companies or individual agents and how the Utah Insurance Department can help you, visit http://www.utahinsurancedepartment.com.