SALT LAKE CITY — The two men arrested in the alleged kidnapping and murder of a Kearns woman were officially charged Tuesday.
Orlando Tobar, 29, and Jorge Medina-Reyes, 21, were charged with aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping and obstructing justice in connection to the death of Conzuelo “Nicole” Solorio-Romero. The men were first taken into custody and arrested on Feb. 15.
Details released in the charges offer up a possible reason for Solorio-Romero's murder.
After abducting the woman in broad daylight on Feb. 6, police say she was taken to an apartment where Tobar questioned her about talking to the police about one of his "close associates" who had been arrested.
According to the charging documents, Solorio-Romero denied that she had spoken to police. Solorio-Romero also allegedly told a witness in the apartment that her husband had been murdered by Tobar and Medina-Reyes, and did not commit suicide as it was believed.
Police say that Tobar then told Solorio-Romero "that she knew too much, and that she was not going to leave the apartment." Tobar then shot her in the back of the head, police say.
Witnesses said they left the apartment and later saw Solorio-Romero's body wrapped in plastic bags and loaded into the back of a truck.
Police found a black .40 caliber pistol from the residence where Tobar was arrested.
Solorio-Romero's body has still not been found.