NewsLocal News


2 toddlers hit, killed by car in Utah County; Driver in custody

Posted at 8:50 PM, May 02, 2022
and last updated 2022-05-03 22:45:58-04

EAGLE MOUNTAIN, Utah — Two toddlers died Monday after they were hit by a car that careened off a Utah County road at high speed and into a corral where the kids were playing.

READ: Community holds tribute for Utah teen killed in hit-and-run

The Utah County Sheriff's Office said the two 3-year-old boys, identified as Odin Ratliff and Hunter Jackson, were playing in the corral near 2300 North and 16000 West in Eagle Mountain when the car crashed through the fence.

The boys, who were playing with "heavy equipment toys" inside the corral, died instantly.

Memorial for Odin and Hunter
Memorial for Odin and Hunter in Eagle Mountain corral where they were killed Monday

At the home Tuesday morning, the trail of the destruction could still be seen, made up of broken fence parts and twisted metal nearly 350 feet long. According to police, from where the car left the pavement, to where it came to rest, was about 345 feet away and was totally destroyed in the crash.


Investigators said the crash was caused by 25-year-old Kent Cody Barlow, who was allegedly impaired and driving near 100 miles per hour when he ran through a stop sign and left the road. Witnesses said before the accident they saw the car weaving or drifting into oncoming traffic.

While speaking with police, Barlow said "he did not remember what had happened, although Kent did recall that he had been out near the fairgrounds racing his car with friends," according to the probable cause affidavit.

Barlow was booked into the Utah County Jail and faces multiple felony charges, including two counts of automobile homicide and reckless driving.

READ: Mother killed, daughter critically injured in hit-and-run while walking on SLC sidewalk

A preliminary drug test of Barlow came back positive for methamphetamine and amphetamines, which he confirmed to using as recently as Sunday when speaking with detectives.

Police said that Barlow is currently on parole for other incidents. After being airlifted to Utah Valley Hospital, he was treated and released for multiple bruises and cuts, but no broken bones.

Kent Cody Barlow.jpg
Mug shot of Kent Cody Barlow from an arrest in 2018

Three passengers in Barlow's car were also treated and released from nearby hospitals.

"We of the Utah County Sheriff's Office express our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of these two sweet boys," the department wrote in a statement. "Their loss is a senseless tragedy and we can only imagine the depth of the grief now being carried by their families. Our prayers are with them as they walk this incredibly difficult path."