NEPHI, Utah — Officials are shedding some light on what caused a loud explosion heard across the town of Nephi Saturday night.
According to the Nephi Fire Department, someone was storing a large amount of hydrogen peroxide and using it to bleach animal skulls.
Around 8:30 p.m., the substance ignited and caused a chemical explosion.
Nobody was home at the time of the blast, and no one was injured. However, the fire department said the blast caused an "extensive" amount of property damage.
The home where it happened, near 500 N. 200 East, took most of the damage. Some of the neighbors' windows were broken as well.
"Please be careful with any chemical you have around your house," the fire department cautioned.
No criminal charges are expected.