NewsLocal News


Gymnastics building catches fire in Sandy

Posted at 8:28 PM, Jun 25, 2022
and last updated 2022-06-26 00:40:34-04

SANDY, Utah — A gymnastics center in Sandy caught fire Saturday evening.

Officials said the fire started inside Pinnacles Gymnastics just before 8 p.m. The owner told firefighters he was welding inside when he saw that some combustible materials had caught fire. He tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but it was spreading too fast. He and his daughter were able to get out safely, but they did suffer some minor smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Billows of dark smoke were seen from the surrounding area, including by Real Salt Lake fans watching a game at Rio Tinto Stadium just a few blocks away (video below).

Commercial building fire burning in Sandy

It was too dangerous to go into the building, so crews battled the 3-alarm fire from the outside. By about 8:30 p.m., the smoke had died down significantly, but some flames became visible just before 9:30.

The building is located at 9127 S. 255 West. Sandy Fire Department Deputy Chief Ryan McConaghie urged the public to avoid the area — particularly Monroe Street.

No firefighters were injured.

McConaghie said a nearby carpet outlet and woodworking shop will likely have smoke damage, but not fire damage.

Earlier in the day, dark smoke was also visible from a Salt Lake Bees game at Smith's Ballpark. The Salt Lake City Fire Department said a motorhome caught fire.