PLYMOUTH, Utah -- Firefighters battled a burning pile of debris Saturday and Sunday at a privately-owned landfill in Box Elder County.
The fire broke out Saturday shortly before 6 p.m. at the landfill owned by Western Metals, located northwest of Plymouth.
Box Elder County Fire Assistant Warden Todd Richards said crews extinguished the flames around 7:30 a.m. Sunday and have been monitoring hot spots since then.
One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation and is expected to fully recover.
Hazmat and ambulance crews also responded because the fire was burning toxic, dangerous materials, including non-metallic car parts.
"Through the night, as firefighters worked on the fire, airbag modules would ignite, sending parts up into the air where the firefighters were ever watchful for their safety," said Mitch Zundel with Box Elder County.
Crews will remain at the scene until at least Tuesday to watch for potential flare-ups.
“It was hard and scary work for all the firefighters and they did an amazing job keeping everyone safe. The crews couldn’t have gotten this fire capped with water alone, the owner (Western Metals) and their crews did a lot to help get the fire capped,” Box Elder County Fire Chief Corey Barton said.