NewsLocal News


Man arrested for allegedly firing a gun near Utah Trump rally

Posted at 4:58 PM, Nov 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-05 19:29:17-05

OREM, Utah — A man was taken into custody after allegedly firing a gun near a Trump rally and screaming death threats at supporters on Tuesday.

23-year-old Adrian Coronel was booked into the Utah County Jail on charges of aggravated assault, discharhe of firearms, and possession of a controlled substance.

Officers responded to calls of shots being fired at the Intersection of State Street and University Parkway at around 9:40 p.m. On the Northeast corner of the intersection, Trump supporters were hosting a rally.

A vehicle described as a black four-door sedan approached the group and screamed at attendees. As it was driving away, a passenger fired two rounds into the air, according to arresting documents. When officers arrived at the scene, they located two 9mm casings on the ground.

The car circled around and parked behind the group, where witnesses described the passenger pointing the gun out the window and making death threats towards the group.

Just before 12:30 in the morning, someone called the police to report he had picked up two males in Wasatch County that asked for a ride to Orem. The driver dropped the two passengers off at a 7/11 gas station when he overheard them talking about how they had ran from police and were wanted.

Officers made contact with the two men, which included Coronel and learned that the Wasatch County Sheriff's office came into contact with a stolen vehicle and all the passengers fled on foot, with the exception of one female.

The female provided the names of the other occupants and said she was in the vehicle that shots were fired from in Orem.

The female said Coronel leaned out the window and fired shots in the air, and then they drove up Provo canyon in a stolen black Ford Focus, according to arrest documents.

When Coronel was taken into custody, several pills were found and tested positive for methamphetamine.

Coronel was transported and booked into the Utah County Jail.