SPANISH FORK, Utah — If you're looking for a goat on the cheap, the local police have the hook up.
The Utah County Sheriff's Office is auctioning off five goats that were abandoned and brought to animal shelters to be cared for.
When abandoned animals cannot be reunited with their owners within five days, the process of auctioning them off begins. In previous auctions, horses and goats have sold for as little as $10.
The Sheriff's Office doesn't care about the money, they just want to find good homes for the animals.
Here's how you can bid on one of the goats up for auction:
- Bids must be sealed in an envelope. Your name must be on the outside of the envelope.
- The bid on a separate sheet of paper inside must include your name, a contact phone number, and the amount you are bidding and which animal or animals you are bidding on.
- Unsealed envelopes will not be considered.
- The winning bidder must pick up the animal within a reasonable time after their bid is accepted. (Within a couple of days.) The winning bid is a binding contract to purchase the animal from the Utah County Sheriff's Office.
- Payment must be by cash or check.
- Bidding opens the morning of Friday, October 23, 2020 and closes at noon on Monday, November 2, 2020.
- If you want to view the animals call Central Utah Dispatch at (801)794-3970 and ask to speak to one of our Animal Control Deputies to make those arrangements during daylight hours.
- -You can bring the sealed bid to the Patrol office or mail them to the following address:
Utah County Sheriff's Office
Attn: Deputy Wilson, sealed bid auction for goats
3075 North Main Street
Spanish Fork, Utah 84660