NewsLocal News


Police release photos of suspects who broke the law during Saturday's protests

Send photos and videos to
Posted at 7:02 AM, Jun 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-01 13:33:42-04

SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police are asking for the public's help tracking down people who committed criminal acts during Saturday's violent protests.

So far, 46 people have been arrested.

Police are now posting photos online of people who separated themselves from the peaceful protesters.

These pictures are of some of the protesters who flipped and burned a Salt Lake City police car.

Officers are asking for anyone who witnessed crimes taking place, or have photos or video of any wrongdoing to submit that information to

More photos of suspects will be released over the coming days.

The case police say is a priority involves a man who wielded a bow and arrow and other weapons, claiming to be there to protect law enforcement officers.

He had driven his car into a crowd and was yelling "All lives matter!"

He then opened the back seat of his car and pulled out a bow and arrow and pointed it at several people.

At that point, other demonstrators rushed the man, tackled him and ultimately set his car on fire.

Instead of arresting the man, police escorted him to a safe area, treated him for some of his injuries and released him.

Chief Mike Brown addressed the situation in a Sunday news conference.

"The man with the bow and arrow was pulled from the crowd by officers as he was being assaulted," Brown said. "Law enforcement's first concern was life-saving, it was only later through the media inquiries and shared footage that we were able to identify him and a series of events that preceded."

Other video appears to show the man threatening protesters with a machete.

Brown said charges against the man are being screened.

Officers say if they can't investigate the crimes that took place and rescue those involved, what happened to residents and businesses will continue to injure our community.

Some of the graffiti spray painted on the Public Safety Building has been cleaned up and some of the broken glass has been replaced.

It will remained closed for the time being, as police want to be prepared in the event of any new protests.