It's a fresh new year and time to clean out those closets!
Do you feel like you're wearing the same things over and over (on repeat)? Do you only really wear 20% of the clothes in your closet?
Pro stylist Dani Slaugh's 8 step process will not only have you feeling clean and organized, but also inspired to create new ways to wear those tried and true clothes.
Here's the system...watch out for the biggest mistake you may be making.
1. Bring in a clothes rack. If you don't have one, you can make one by setting up two chairs, putting a broom on top and hanging the clothes from the broom handle.
2. Bring in 3 boxes or plastic bags. One is for cleaning/repairs, one for repurposing/donations, and one for off-season clothing. (You may choose to hang off-season items in another closet if available.)
3. Off-season? Love it? Like it? Hate it? Look through each item of clothing. Store off-season clothing in another closet or box. Designate one place on the rack for items you love and hang them there. Designate one place for items you like and hang them there. Throw the hates in the donation box.
4. Repeat this process with your accessories using your bed space for loves and likes and boxes for hates/off-season.
5. Evaluate what your love section has in common. Is it the color, the fit, the pattern (or lack of pattern), the texture? Make a note of this. Now consider the hate items, what do they have in common? Vow not to repeat the elements that you didn't like and look for more of the elements you do like in future purchases!
THIS IS WHERE MOST PEOPLE GET IT WRONG! ORGANIZING YOUR CLOTHES BY GARMENT TYPE AND COLOR LEADS TO WASTED TIME EVERY TIME YOU GET DRESSED.
6. Instead of sorting clothes by garment type, cluster your clothing for maximum efficiency, variety, and INSPIRATION. Hang together the pieces you actually wear together in clusters. 5 to 8 basic pieces of clothing – at least 3 tops and 2 bottom pieces - one third layer.
7. Make a shopping list of missing items to complete your cluster.
8. Fill the closet with love. Dani's happy to help with this one!
If you organize well, putting together new looks that make you feel inspired will take you 5 minutes max. Leaving more time to work on making 2021 amazing.
To get Dani's help, visit stylebydani.com