By Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 1 bulb garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- Cooking spray
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 rounds of whole wheat flatbread or pita
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice top off garlic bulb, wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes. After 25 minutes, spray eggplant and bell pepper slices with cooking spray. Place on a large baking sheet; add to the oven and roast for 20 minutes (while garlic finishes roasting).
Squeeze roasted garlic out of bulb and place in food processor. Add grilled eggplant and red bell pepper. Add lemon juice, parsley, pepper and olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Place dip in serving bowl.
Warm bread for 4-5 minutes in oven. Serve with dip. (Note: Dip can also be served with a variety of raw vegetables.)
|Nutritional analysis per serving; Serving size: Half a pita and 2 tablespoons of dip|
|Total fat||4 g||Total carbohydrate||25 g|
|Saturated fat||0.6 g||Dietary fiber||3 g|
|Trans fat||0 g||Sugars||0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2.5 g||Protein||4 g|