- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon no-salt seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low sodium ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon low sodium hot sauce
- 4 whole wheat or whole grain hamburger buns
- 2 roasted red peppers, jarred, cut in half
Combine 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste.
Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.
In a small bowl, combine the low sodium ketchup, mustard and low sodium hot sauce in a bowl. Spread on each bun. Top with a burger and roasted red pepper. Serve immediately.