News

Actions

Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants issues statement after tainted tea injures woman

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:55 PM, Aug 16, 2014
and last updated 2014-08-16 21:55:54-04

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — A Utah woman remains in critical condition Saturday after she drank sweet tea at a South Jordan restaurant that was later found to contain a chemical used for cleaning.

Jan Harding, 67, suffered burns caused by sodium hydroxide that was believed to have been accidentally mixed in with sugar at a Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in South Jordan. Her family spoke to FOX 13 News Friday, click here for their interviews.

Jan Harding - Facebook

Jan Harding – Facebook

Officials with Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants Inc. released the following statement Saturday regarding the incident:

“The entire Dickey’s family is saddened by the events that occurred in Utah and takes this incident very seriously. We are keeping the entire Harding family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

We would like to reassure the public that this was an isolated incident in South Jordan, Utah. Nothing like this has occurred in the 73 years we have operated. There is nothing more important to us than the trust and safety of our guests. The independent owner of the South Jordan location is deeply saddened by this incident; he is fully cooperating with authorities as they investigate how this tragic event occurred. The health inspector was called to the location during the incident and the store passed all requirements to remain open. The incident is still under investigation.

Dickey’s appreciates all of the messages of support. We ask for your prayers for the Harding family.”

A former Dickey’s employee spoke about how the tea may have become contaminated, saying she had combined the cleaning chemical with sugar several weeks prior to the incident that injured Harding. Click here for details.

Related stories:

Woman who drank toxic tea has burns worse than expected, remains in critical condition

Family’s attorney speaks as woman who drank tainted tea remains in critical condition

Experts discuss dangers of chemical that left woman in critical condition