Utah defeats Washington 34-23 in Seattle

Posted at 9:19 PM, Nov 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-08 01:30:48-05

SEATTLE -- The University of Utah Utes were on the road Saturday night as they took on the Washington Huskies, and, while the game was very close at one point, the Utes managed to score twice in the final minutes to secure the win.

Washington secured an early lead over the Utes after Utah's first drive ended in a punt, and the Huskies drove down into the redzone. A pass that initially appeared to be a touchdown was called back on an offensive pass interference flag, and the Utes knuckled down on the following plays to hold Washington to a field goal.

Utah's next drive stalled out in missed field goal attempt from 45 yards out, but a Washington fumble on their next drive gave Travis Wilson and Co. the ball back. Utah capitalized on the turnover, scoring on a drive that featured a 4th-and-1 sprint for a first down from Travis Wilson as well as a 4-yard TD run from the Utah quarterback.

Then, Gionni Paul picked off Washington to give Utah excellent field position, resulting in another touchdown for the Utes--this time on a short run from Devontae Booker. That made the score 14-3 heading into the second quarter.

Washington's next drive resulted in a fumble recovered by Utah, but a botched snap on the very next play created another fumble and gave the Huskies the ball back. Washington managed to score another field goal as a result.

Utah was forced to punt on their next outing. But, after a Washington receiver fumbled the ball during their next drive, Gionni Paul scooped up the pigskin near midfield and ran it all the way for touchdown to give Utah the 21-6 lead with 6:10 left in the half.

Washington answered back on their very next drive, however, scoring a touchdown to make it 21-13.  Utah's following drive culminated in a 4th-and-5 situation with 1:08 to play, and Andy Phillips was good from 43 yards out to make it 24-13, a score that would hold up into halftime.

After some punting on both sides, Washington scored first in the second half, making it a one possession game at 24-20 about five minutes into the second half. Utah failed to generate traction on offense, and the Huskies narrowed the gap to 24-23 with a field goal early on in the fourth quarter.

The Utes finally found their stride on offense again later in the fourth, scoring a touchdown with under four minutes left to play. The score came on a short run from Travis Wilson, making it 31-23.

On the next Washington possession, Utah forced a fumble to get the ball back with just under three minutes left to play. Utah turned that drive into another field goal, making it 34-23 and securing the win for the Utes.

Utah, now 8-1 overall and 5-1 in conference play, will take the field next on Saturday, November 14, when they take on Arizona in Tucson. That game is scheduled for 8 p.m.