News

Actions

Candle to blame for South Salt Lake fourplex fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:01 AM, Dec 09, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-09 16:51:04-05

SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – A couple’s home went up in flames in South Salt Lake Wednesday around 5 a.m., and firefighters said a candle started it.

“Candles are appropriate this time of year if used properly,” said South Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Eldon Farnsworth. “Thing to do is to extinguish them before you go to sleep or leave a room even.”

Firefighters across the valley are urging people to heed their fire warnings.

Salt Lake Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said December, January and February are the months where more home fires happen than any other time of year.

“Fires can be a devastating thing, especially house fires,” Asay said. “I know that the safety messages we put out every year seem pretty basic and pretty easy, but they are important and by just doing a little bit of prevention, it can go a long way in stopping a fire from taking place at your house.”

Fire safety tips for the holidays include:

– Always put out all candles and lights before you go to bed or leave the house
– Inspect holiday light strings
– Throw away lights with frayed cords or cracked bulbs
– Try to purchase a freshly cut tree
– A good way to test a tree is to hit the ground with it and watch for falling needles
– Keep tree away from candles
– Never connect more than one extension cord together

The Red Cross also has a smoke alarm installation program and it’s free. Visit their website for more information.