News

Actions

Investigators say natural gas likely cause of explosion, fire at Sandy restaurant

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:04 PM, Jan 09, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-09 22:46:31-05

SANDY, Utah – A popular restaurant in Sandy was destroyed by fire following an explosion last month, and now investigators said they believe natural gas was a factor.

Johanna’s Kitchen was destroyed December 14, and the owners reported smelling gas in the building, an odor they said would dissipate during the day.

Officials said the smell likely faded at times as patrons opened and shut the door, but when the door was closed gas was building up.

FOX 13 News spoke with the granddaughter of one of the restaurant’s previous owners, and its namesake, about the loss of the long-time spot in Sandy, click here for that interview.