Vigil planned for man killed in motorcycle crash in Midvale

Posted at 9:18 PM, Apr 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-07 23:19:52-04

MIDVALE, Utah — Emergency crews responded to the scene of a fatal accident in Midvale Thursday night, and friends of the man who was killed are planning a vigil for Friday night.

Chief Deputy Justin Hoyal of the Salt Lake County Sheriffs Office confirmed to FOX 13 News the fatal crash involved a car and motorcycle and occurred in the area of 94 East and Fort Union Boulevard/7200 South.

Rion Phillips. Image via Facebook.

Rion Phillips. Image via Facebook.

Rion Phillips, 31 of Cottonwood Heights, was on the motorcycle and was killed in the crash. Friends of the man are planning a vigil for 8 p.m. Friday at the scene of the crash.

They have also set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds for funeral expenses and to help the man’s family.

Police said as the weather warms up, there is an increase in the number of people riding motorcycles.

Hoyal said, “At this time of the year we will see more motorcyclists getting out on the road, and I think it’s important that they ride within the speed limits, ride cautiously, and also for motorists as well to be observant and be on the look out for motorcyclists that may be on the road.”

FOX 13 News first heard report of the crash around 9 p.m.

Fire crews tried to revive the driver but he passed away at the scene.

fatal motorcycle crash on Fort UnionHoyal said the crash occurred as a motorcycle was traveling eastbound on Fort Union Boulevard. A passenger vehicle was trying to turn left out of the parking lot of Bohemian Brewery and Bar when the motorcycle struck that vehicle broadside.

The Honda Civic was being driven by a 48-year-old woman, who had another female passenger in the vehicle.

Aside from the fatality, there were no other injuries reported.

Hoyal said the cause of the crash is still under investigation, and they are looking into factors such as speed, visibility and lighting. He said at this point there are no indications impairment played a role in the accident.

The Chief Deputy said that just before 10 p.m. on Thursday night that they expected the road closure to remain in effect for a few more hours as crews investigated.