Suspected shoplifters injured after police chase in American Fork

Posted at 5:58 PM, May 09, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-10 17:32:10-04

AMERICAN FORK, Utah -- Two wanted burglars in American Fork were caught Monday after leading police on a chase.

It ended on 300 W. 265 North when the suspects went over some railroad tracks, lost control, flipped the car and plowed into two utility poles.

Jordan Green

Jordan Green

"I came running out the side kitchen door and as I came out there was two squad cars that had just stopped and the police had their guns out they were running across the street," said American Fork resident Sarah Kelsch.

Kelsch woke up from her afternoon nap to find the smashed up car outside her home.

"One of the suspects from the passenger's side was actually ejected, was face down on the sidewalk, not moving. The other was trying to resist arrest, he was crawling away and trying to get out of the car, they finally got him in handcuffs," Kelsch said.

Police say the men recently stole thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment from C-A-L Ranch. On Monday they were back at the business.

"They went in today and the employees immediately recognized them as the people who had been stealing stuff from their business, so they confront them, they walk out to their car, and these employees surround them," said Lt. Sam Liddiard, with American Fork Police.

When police arrived, the suspects took off from the parking lot. Less than a mile into the pursuit, they lost control on 300 West and crashed. Police say it happened so fast they didn't have time to call off the pursuit.

"This is something we take serious they are approaching a residential neighborhood, we are aware it's in the afternoon kids are out of school," Liddiard said.

Shauna Sarle's family spent hours cleaning up the broken glass and car parts left behind.

Sarle teaches piano lessons at her home. She said kids are coming and going all the time and one of them could have easily been in this car's path.

"I was very lucky because some students had just left, others were coming later, otherwise somebody could have been hurt pretty bad," Sarle said.

One of the suspects has been booked into jail while the other is in the hospital in serious condition.