News

Actions

Woods Cross man arrested on suspicion of raping 2 children

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 3:10 PM, Jun 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-07 17:11:47-04

WOODS CROSS, Utah — A Woods Cross man was taken into custody, Monday, on suspicion of raping two children over the past five years, officials confirmed Tuesday.

Michael Hepworth

Michael Hepworth

On May 12, a woman reported to Woods Cross police that her son and daughter had been sexually abused by Michael Hepworth.

During interviews with the kids at the Children’s Justice Center, the daughter claimed the abuse started when she was and 12 and the son claimed it started when he was between 8 and 10 years old, according to a probable cause statement from Woods Cross police.

Both children said Hepworth told them he would give them money for sex. The probable cause statement indicates the suspect also gave the boy alcohol.

Hepworth did hold a position of trust over the children, according to officials.

The abuse occurred several times over the course of five years, according to the probable cause statement. The victims are now 17 and 15 years old.

On June 6, a search warrant was served on Hepworth’s home.

“The suspect was interviewed at the scene and post Miranda admitted to having sexual intercourse with both victims numerous times,” the probable cause statement indicates.

Child pornography was found during a preliminary search of Hepworth’s house, according to officials.

Hepworth has been charged with three counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony and three counts of sexual abuse of a child, a third-degree felony.