News

Actions

New trial date set for Orem man convicted of killing wife

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:24 PM, Aug 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-15 23:24:12-04

PROVO, Utah -- Granted a new trial after being convicted of killing his wife, Conrad Truman learned on Monday he will face a jury, once again, on Nov. 1.

Truman also gets a new bail hearing, which is set for Aug. 23.

"We are planning to argue against bail, we're not just doing a dog and pony show here," said Deputy Utah County Attorney Craig Johnson.

The new trial was granted after a judge ruled some crime scene dimensions were misrepresented to the first jury.

"We still feel that the stories presented by Conrad differ to such a degree that do not match the physical evidence, even with the corrected measurements," Johnson said.

Truman's defense team says it's not just the measurements they will prove the prosecution has wrong.

"We think that almost every piece of evidence that was presented previously as well as every theory they presented previously, we have, throughout these trial proceedings, completely undercut," said Ann Taliaferro, Conrad Truman's attorney.

Truman's father, Mark Truman, was at the hearing in Provo on Monday.

"He's a good kid and he'll stick with it, he'll do what he has to. So will we," Mark Truman said.

Sitting just a few feet away, Heidy's mother and other family members listened, resigning themselves to another trial for the man they believe killed their daughter.

"We are pleased that there's going to be a retrial and we will feel positive that the outcome will be good," said Janet Wagner, Heidy's mother.