Homeowners urged to use smoke alarms after fire damages Layton home

Posted at 10:39 AM, Nov 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-04 20:09:15-04

LAYTON, Utah — Layton Fire Department officials are urging homeowners to install and test smoke alarms after a fire caused thousands of dollars in damage Thursday night.

According to a news release from the fire department, the fire started in the kitchen of a home near 1700 N 225 W, causing an estimated $50,000 in damage to cabinets and a kitchen wall.

Fire investigators determined the fire started on the stove, which had accidentally been left on with a pan of oil.

Two adults and two young children who live there escaped without injury, but the fire department noted that there were no smoke alarms installed at the home.

"It is vital that smoke alarms be in the home on every level of the home especially in bedrooms," the news release said. "Smoke alarms are needed to be tested monthly and checked for a fresh battery every year. Smoke alarms older than 10 years need to be replaced with a new one."

Some fire departments along the Wasatch Front have limited supplies of smoke alarms for those who can't afford them.