LOGAN, Utah — The Cache County community is coming together to help those infected with COVID-19 after a huge spike in confirmed cases.
In three days, the Church of God in Hyrum has gathered enough donations to deliver to 60 families impacted by COVID-19 and they hope to help more.
“The Lord has not given us a Spirit of fear,” said Pastor Francisco Montufar who has been with the Church of God for 13 years. “We just want to help out.”
Sometimes faith over fear looks like canned goods and stacks of toilet paper — that’s what Pastor Montufar’s church is filled with.
“We just had a gentleman come from South Jordan to donate,” said Pastor Montufar.
Food and financial donations are sent out to their community members infected with COVID-19.
The Bear River Health Department has confirmed 805 cases of COVID-19 in Cache County. 287 of those cases can be traced to a meatpacking plant in Hyrum.
Claudia Mendez Wright noticed that about 40% of cases were Hispanic, motivating her to want to help her community.
“They don’t have the luxury of being able to stay at home,” said Wright. “A person that works in the cheese factory or in a meat factory or packing plant, they have to be there and it’s a manual labor.”
The community that needs it the most though, Wright said, might be the most hesitant to ask for help.
Wright and her friends brought multiple churches together throughout the valley to make getting help a little bit easier.
There are at least 10 locations people can drop off donations to, a few include:
- Saint Thomas Aguinas Catholic Church, 435-752-1478, 725 S 250 E Hyde Park
- Iglesia de Dios - Un Nuevo Comienzo, Marisol Montufar y Francisco Montufar, 435-760-6031, 340 N 800 E Hyrum
- First Presbyterian Church, 435-753-0871, 178 W Center St. Logan
- Emmanuel Baptist Church, 435-245-5898, 310 N 800 E Hyrum
- Cache Refugee and Immigrant Connection, Jess Lucero (English) 307-221-3515, Amanda Barrandey (Spanish) 385-202-4157, 93 S 1250 E Logan
- English Language Center of Cache Valley, 435-750-6534, 1544 N 200 W Logan
More donation sites: