NewsLocal News

Actions

Christmas lights installer speaks on rescuing family trapped in burning apartment building

Posted at 7:30 PM, Nov 07, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-07 21:30:55-05

SANDY, Utah — Brennan Montoya says he has no special training, but he did have a ladder, which he used to help rescue three very young children, their mother and grandmother.

It happened on Thursday evening, when a fire broke out at the Windmill Cove Apartments in Sandy. Once the fire began, Deputy Chief Ryan McConaghie explained that it quickly spread across a breezeway, trapping the Davidson family.

Mother and daughter Veronica and Sharon Davidson said they were home with Veronica's three kids when they realized the building was on fire.

Montoya's team was hanging up Christmas lights when they saw smoke. Within about five minutes, Montoya and his team hoisted ladders to a third-floor balcony and saved Veronica Davidson, Veronica's mother Sharon Davidson and Veronica's 6-year-old, 3-year-old and 10-month-old children.

"I was going to go to the door, it was engulfed in flames I was going to go that way but then I was like wait a second, I got ladders, so I ran back and grabbed my ladder and got the kids down, and my other guy got the other ladder down," Montoya told FOX 13. "There was no question, once I heard there was kids in there, no question."

Montoya said he and his team weren't scheduled to be at the building for another hour, but happened to arrive early on Thursday.

Click here for the Davidson's side of the story.