TREMONTON, Utah — A large fire at a meat processing facility in Tremonton early Friday morning left three employees injured and caused an estimated $1.5 million in damage.
The fire started in a boiler room at West Liberty Foods, 705 N 2000 W, around 5:30 a.m.
The fire was isolated to a single building at the food plant and did not spread to the main building, Tremont Garland Police Chief Kurt Fertig said.
"It's a building that housed some oil. It's called thermal fluid. It's an oil they use to heat stuff up, it's already at 600 degrees when it's running. So it comes back to a boiler, per se, or heater, a gas-fired heater that comes up and reheats it," said Battalion Chief Blaier Westergard, Tremonton City Fire Department. "We evacuated the road to the west of the building, both sides of the road for a couple hours, just in concern of the ammonia, an explosion or a leak."
Crews with Garland, Tremonton, Fielding & Brigham Fire responded to the scene.
A nearby neighborhood in the area was evacuated as a precaution, and the evacuation was lifted around 8 a.m.