NewsLocal News


Herriman house fire caused by barbecue

Posted at 11:56 PM, Nov 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-16 02:09:22-05

HERRIMAN, Utah — A house fire in Herriman Sunday afternoon was caused by a grill on the home's wood deck.

According to Unified Fire Authority, the fire started around 4 p.m. at a house near 13600 Timeless Court.

First on the scene was Draper City Fire Chief Clint Smith, who lives in Herriman. He suited up and responded immediately, and upon seeing the severity of the fire, he called in a second alarm to have more crews respond.

A bystander captured video of the flames and smoke:

UFA spokesman Ryan Love said the fire was started on the outside by a barbecue and moved to the interior, where flames and/or smoke damaged the entire home.

One person was transported to the hospital burns on their face and hands, as well as smoke inhalation. That person's condition was unknown.

A dog was rescued from the home's basement and is alive and well, Love said.

The American Red Cross is helping the family that was displaced from the home.