NewsLocal News


Man dies after being shot by law enforcement in Farmington

Posted at 6:43 AM, Dec 13, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-13 23:24:45-05

FARMINGTON, Utah — A man has died after being shot by police in Farmington early Sunday morning.

The incident happened just after 2:00 a.m. while Farmington Police and Utah Highway Patrol troopers were conducting a stolen vehicle investigation.

As the departments were inventorying the vehicle, a passenger car crashed into a Farmington PD patrol vehicle, and the driver — and sole occupant — exited the car.

"Investigators believe that this incident is a completely separate incident from the initial stolen vehicle investigation," said Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen.

According to a statement from the Utah Department of Public Safety, the 29-year-old Farmington man was armed and advanced on officers and troopers.

When he failed to respond to verbal commands, a state trooper and Farmington Police officer both discharged their firearms.

"The weapon was one that could cause death or serious bodily injury to the officers," said Lt. Nick Street with the Utah Highway Patrol.

Investigators are not yet saying exactly what kind of weapon the driver had.

"The officers still need to be interviewed," added Lt. Street. "Who knows what they perceived at the time. So, we want to leave that out of the release so that it does not influence their interviews later."

After the shooting, officers began life-saving measures, and the driver was transported to a local hospital in critical condition, where he later died from his injuries.

The Davis County Officer-Involved Critical Incident Protocol Team is currently investigating the shooting.

They do not yet know whether he intentionally crashed into the police cruiser, and they say more details — along with body camera footage — will be released in the coming weeks following the Protocol Team's investigation.

"Just depending on tracking down witnesses and other information, sometimes it can take quite an extended period of time," said Lt. Street.

Police say his name will be released following familial notification.

This is a developing story.