SPANISH FORK, Utah — A Spanish Fork hay barn was destroyed overnight after a fire started by fireworks engulfed the structure in flames.
The Utah County Fire Marshal tweeted out a photo of the fire early Sunday morning.
"Fireworks. Just don't," the post read.
The fire marshal's office later posted an update on Facebook, saying the fire was sparked Saturday just before midnight on River Road — an area where fireworks are restricted.
More than 100 tons of hay were lost.
"This was a criminal act," the Facebook post read. "Hay is impossible to get this year. With the water situation it can’t be grown to replace it this year. This should be feeding cattle this winter rather than being destroyed by reckless behavior."
The fire marshal and county sheriff's office will investigate and try to identify the suspect(s).
Authorities asked the public that if they know someone who "left home with a firework and came home missing said firework and smelling like burnt hay, shame and regret," they should contact the Utah County Sheriff's Office at (801) 851-4000 or the Utah County Fire Department at (801) 851-8348.
For over a month, fire officials, along with city and county leaders, have urged residents to hold off on setting off fireworks due to the state's dry conditions and fear of sparking wildfires.