NewsLocal News


Weber County Attorney's Office releases details in fatal officer-involved shooting in Ogden

Posted at 6:48 PM, Jun 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-03 21:27:37-04

OGDEN, Utah — Weber County Attorney’s Office has released a Summary of Circumstances concerning the shooting death of Ogden Police Officer Nathan Lyday.

On Thursday, May 28, 2020, a 911 call was placed by a female claiming her husband, John Coleman, had hit her, threatened to kill her as well as had drugs in the home. The woman provided an address before hanging up.

Officer Lyday and another officer were dispatched to the 300 block of Jackson Ave in Ogden. Both officers’ body cams were turned on as they approached the home. Officer Lyday initially made contact with John Coleman as he talked to him through a glass storm door from the front porch.

According to the summary, a brief conversation occurred where Coleman was uncooperative and confrontational with Officer Lyday and the assisting officer.

RELATED: Neighbors describe shootout that killed Ogden police officer

Two adult Probation and Patrol Agents were in the neighborhood doing routine house checks when the original domestic violence call was placed. The agents responded to the call and came to assist and were present during the initial encounter with Coleman. The two agents then went to a neighbor’s home searching for the woman who had placed the call.

Coleman remained confrontational and refused to open the glass door. Eventually, Coleman stepped inside and closed the interior door. Officer Lyday then turned around to speak with his fellow officer to discuss further action. During the conversation, while Officer Lyday’s back was still turned, Coleman opened the door and opened fire with a rifle on Officer Lyday, striking him in the head and killing him instantly.

The assisting officer was able to draw his weapons and returned fire as Coleman continued to fire rounds from his front door. The two Agents searching for the woman came to assist and returned fire as Coleman made his way into a room in the northside of his home while still firing rounds.

During the exchange of fire, one of the agents was struck by a round while attempting to rescue officer Lyday who had collapsed on the front porch. After the gunfire ceased, the injured Agent was dragged out of the scene by his partner. The agent suffered a wound to his hand and arm.

Responding officers from Ogden City arrived on scene and used ballistics shields as cover as they moved in to rescue Officer Lyday. They were able to successfully rescue Lyday and transport him to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

RELATED: Slain Ogden Police Officer Nate Lyday remembered as a 'warrior, guardian and public servant'

Approximately 40 minutes later, SWAT officers made entry into the home and discovered several firearms and ammunition readily accessible to Coleman and reported as strategically placed for a protracted shoot-out with police.

Coleman was found dead in a room in the home with a gunshot wound to the head. The investigation determined that Coleman was killed in the exchange with officers.

The Weber County Force Investigation Team along with members of the Homicide Task Force took the scene over and search warrants were served on the residence and surrounding area. All evidence gathered will be turned over to the Weber County Attorney’s Office when the investigation is complete.