by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 4 large bell peppers, any color, halved lengthwise, ribs removed
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin, garlic, salt and pepper; sauté 1 minute. Stir in drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Drizzle each pepper with pan juices before serving.