- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh spinach
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoon chives
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
To prepare cakes, bring 4 cups water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
Place lentils in a large bowl. Combine remaining 1 cup water and rice in pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool 10 minutes. Add rice to lentils.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, fennel seeds, and garlic to pan; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes.
Add to rice mixture. Add mozzarella cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon half of rice mixture by 1/3-cupfuls into pan, spreading to form 6 (3-inch) circles; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 5 minutes on other side. Remove cakes from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining rice mixture. Serve each cake topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream, tomato and chives.