DA Sim Gill: Officer was “justified” in South Salt Lake shooting of Dillon Taylor

Posted at 10:04 AM, Sep 30, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-30 16:07:08-04

WARNING: Video below is graphic and not appropriate for all audiences. Viewers discretion advised.

SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said in a statement Tuesday the officer was justified in the South Salt Lake shooting of 20-year-old Dillon Taylor back in August.

Dillon Taylor - Facebook

Dillon Taylor - Facebook

Officer Bron Cruz shot Taylor two times in the chest and stomach after he refused to obey police.

Officer Cruz has been cleared of wrongdoing.

Officials said the officer believed Taylor had a weapon and intended to use it.

However, authorities did not find a weapon on or near Taylor when the officer shot him.

Footage from the officer's body camera (see video above) shows Officer Cruz repeatedly ordered  Dillon to show his hands.

On the footage Taylor can be heard saying "Nah, fool."

Then Taylor quickly raised his left hand from inside his waistband, lifted his shirt level with his armpit and quickly brought out his right hand.

At that time Officer Cruz shot Taylor twice.

Taylor died at the scene.

Police were originally called to the convenience store in South Salt Lake to check reports of a person with a gun.

Officials said Taylor's blood alcohol level was .18 percent when he was shot, well above the .08 legal limit.

Eerie Facebook posts before shooting

DA Gill said Taylor's Facebook posts show he was suicidal before the shooting.

WARNING: Taylor's Facebook posts contain graphic language

Just two days before Taylor was shot and killed, he made the following posts on his Facebook page.

S SL shooting Dillion Facebook post 2 explicit copy

This post on Taylor's Facebook page dates back to June.

Taylor posted this at the end of May.

He also stated on Facebook he got out of a mental hospital in the middle of May.

A post from March appears to indicate Taylor may have had thoughts of suicide.

911 call before officer-involved shooting 

Dillon Taylor Facebook

Dillon Taylor Facebook

According to Sgt. Darin Sweeten, police were called to the scene at a convenience store just after 7 p.m. Aug. 11 after receiving a 911 call about a man allegedly waving a gun in the air.

When police arrived they spotted the suspect, Taylor, leaving the gas station with two other individuals, his cousin and brother.

According to Sweeten, the officers demanded Taylor and the two others surrender.

Taylor did not follow orders; he kept walking when they confronted him.

Officers said Taylor reached toward his waist before they fatally shot him.

Taylor was wanted for a felony arrest warrant at the time of the shooting.

Taylor's brother and cousin did comply with police and were not arrested.

The three Salt Lake City Police officers involved in the shooting were placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation.

MORE: Complete details on officer-involved shooting of Dillon Taylor

Dillon Taylor Facebook

Dillon Taylor Facebook

Family of police shooting victim says he was unarmed

South Salt Lake man shot by police posted eerie message days before death

Dozens protest death of Dillon Taylor shot by SLC police officer

Protestors outside SLCPD demand justice for man shot, killed by police officer

Sister of man shot by SLC police among those at rally against police brutality

Vigil held for South Salt Lake man shot, killed by police