SALT LAKE CITY - An elderly woman and two others have escaped with their lives after an explosion and duplex fire overnight.
Fire crews were called to a home near 1200 S. and 700 E. at about 3:30 a.m. where they found a unit engulfed in smoke and flames.
Neighbors said they heard an explosion shortly before crews arrived, which alerted them to the fire.
Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to the attic, roof and south side of the building.
Residents were in the units when the fire started.
The elderly woman was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation; she is expected to recover.
The other residents were not injured.
Authorities said two men who live in the south unit are left without a home.
Fire officials are investigating what sparked the fire.
Crews said oxygen tanks in the woman's unit may have caused the explosion.