Man arrested for allegedly killing friend during argument at Millcreek party

Posted at 6:45 AM, Feb 22, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-25 11:02:34-05

MILLCREEK, Utah -- A man has been booked into jail on a charge of homicide after a fatal shooting that occurred at a party at a home in Millcreek early Sunday morning.

Modibo Diallo, 33, of Murray, was shot during a party early Sunday morning, according to officials with the Unified Police Department. Ahmed Ali, 29, has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for homicide. Ali, Ahmed SO# 383137 mug

At approximately 2 a.m., Unified police responded to a shooting at 1509 E. 3350 South, where several friends had gathered at a residence for a party. The suspect is an acquaintance of the group, according to a press release from Unified police.

During the party, the suspect went downstairs and a verbal argument ensued between the suspect and Diallo. Then witnesses heard gunshots.

According to the press release, witnesses went downstairs to see what had happened and confronted the suspect. At that point, the suspect fled the scene.

Diallo was taken to an area hospital in critical condition, where he died a short time later. Ali, Ahmed SO# 383137

At approximately 2:18 a.m., the press release states, officers received a call of a man matching the suspect’s description at 1707 E. Millcreek Circle. The suspect was knocking on the front door of the residence.

“As our officers were talking with the homeowners, they believed that the suspect had made entry into their garage," said Lt. Justin Hoyal of the Unified Police Department.

Police say the residents of the home, including young children, were able to get out of the home safely. SWAT located the suspect hiding in the garage of the home on Millcreek Circle. He was taken into custody without incident.

Police have not yet located the weapon allegedly used in the murder, and they said it could be anywhere between where the shooting occurred and where the suspect was found.

Ali was taken to an area hospital in fair condition due to injuries sustained at the party. He was then transported to Salt Lake County Jail.