Rachel Langlois with Cyprus Credit Union shares meaningful ideas for last minute gifts. For more information on Cyprus Credit Union, go here.
"It came without ribbons, it came without bows. It came without packages, boxes or bags. Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more." – The Grinch, Dr. Seuss' "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"
With Christmas almost here, many of us need last minute gift ideas that won't break the bank. Here are a few that are sure to bring a smile Christmas morning:
The Gift of Cash-
- The gift of cash is like a gift card to anywhere.
- Gift cards are a great idea to make sure money is spent on something fun or special to them. If it's the day of you can even get an e-card that can be delivered on Christmas. Make sure to confirm that the retailer is in their area.
- Give the gift of future cash by opening a Certificate Account in their name or contributing to an Educational Savings Plan.
The Gift of Goodwill-
- Make a donation in their name to a local charity and share a picture of the experience or write a card telling about what the donation will be able to accomplish.
- Purchase items from an international aid catalog like worldvision.org, can provide gifts such as chickens to a family in need for only $25.
- Contribute to a micro-finance organization. This allows the gift recipient to go online and choose a family to support and is a gift that is circular and allows them to keep giving.
The Gift of Experience-
- Purchase a gift card for a unique experience, such as a class or local tourist attraction. Local deal websites are a great resource, such as Groupon. You can buy a small gift that relates to the experience so they have something fun to open.
- Subscriptions--this can be a gift that continues all year round, such as a magazine or sample box.
The Gift of Time-
- Time is often the most precious commodity that we have. Give the gift of service, from babysitting, lawn care, to even a monthly cookie club.
- Homemade crafts or baked goods. Easily personalize a gift with an iron-on photo.