Spring is in the air and with that the anticipated dread of spring cleaning. However, cleaning out your home can put cash in your pocket with a little extra effort. Financial expert, Rachel Langlois from Cyprus Credit Union, stopped by the studio with some tips on how to make spring cleaning worthwhile. For more information visit cypruscu.com
DONATE: One of the easiest ways is to donate items to a local charity, through this option you can receive a deduction on next year`s taxes, so be sure to ask for a receipt.
TRADE: You can also drop off your items at a consignment or trade-in store like Kid to Kid, Uptown Cheapskate, Plato`s Closet or Play it Again Sports.
SELL: Consider organizing a neighborhood garage sale or make more by selling your items online.
Some apps or websites to consider include:
• Clothes: ThredUp, The Real Real
• Children`s clothes: Totspot, Kidizen
• Electronics: Gazelle, Best Buy, Verizon
• Gift Cards: GiftCardGranny, Raise, SaveYa
• Musical Instruments: Reverb
• Furniture: Chairish
• Sports Equipment: SwapMeSports
• Books: BookScouter, Amazon
• DVD, CDs, Games: Decluttr
• Everything: Carousell, Mercari
• Local: Saily, Wallapop, Neerbuy, Krrb
Involve your children. If they have a hard time parting with unused items or outgrown toys or clothes, consider offering to 'buy' items at an established rate or offering an allowance for certain areas cleaned out.
If you don`t know where to start, consider reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.