Financial expert Rachel Langlois from Cyprus Credit Union tells us how to save money while traveling.
Hotels & Rental Cars
- Many sites allow you to have free cancellations, such as hotels.com and carrentals.com. Book and set up alerts if the price drops.
- Hotels: consider non-hotel options, such as AirBnb.com & VRBO.com (great for places with few hotels), hostels.com
- Bidding sites like Hotwire or Priceline can be cheaper options if you don't need a particular brand.
- GPS: consider bringing your own if you have one, can save you $10-15/day and is more reliable than depending on cell phones.
While on Vacation
- Consider public transportation if you are staying within a city center. This can save on transportation to-from airport and eliminate unnecessary parking fees. Google maps gives you public transportation/walking routes.
- Souvenirs: give each child a budget, put it in an envelope and allow them to spend it on what they'd like.
For help with your financial future, go here.