- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb. boneless beef chuck, round roast or tip, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large Russet potato, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In Dutch oven or soup pot, up to medium-high heat, add oil. Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides and continue cooking, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add water and Worcestershire sauce to Dutch oven or pot and additional salt and the pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer for a couple hours or until beef is almost tender. Stir in carrots, potato, onion, pepper, celery and bay leaf. Cover; cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil, while constantly stirring, 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve immediately.