Several major cities and counties in Utah are offering ways to recycle Christmas trees rather than throwing them out with the regular trash.
Most, if not all, require ornaments to be removed and do not accept flocked trees.
- "Residents are encouraged to cut up their Christmas trees (into 4-foot pieces or smaller) and put them in the brown curbside compost can for collection on their regular weekly waste collection day.
- Please do not to overfill the brown container.
- Ornaments and lights must be removed. Flocked trees are not accepted on the curb or in the brown can (cut flocked trees up and place them in your garbage can).
- Make sure to use your brown can before the wintertime suspension.
- Residents who cannot cut their trees for placement in the brown cans may put trees curbside for collection.
- We will collect trees left at the curb January 4 – 22, 2021."
Wasatch Front Waste (serves various areas in Salt Lake County)
- "Curbside Christmas Tree Collection: January 4th through January 31st
- Your tree will be picked up the day after your regularly scheduled collection day during January; please let us know if you will have a tree for us to pick up; please be aware that if we do not get it one week, we will get it the following week. Please feel free to chat or email our office for more information.
- 1- Do not put trees in your garbage, green waste, or recycle can.
- 2- Trees must be bare of tinsel, flocking, ornaments, stands, lights, and all other decorations.
- 3- If the tree is over 8 feet tall, please cut it in half.
- 4- Make sure trees are visible, free of snow, and easy to access.
- *Trees are taken to landfill for compost."
- "Christmas Tree Drop Off Sites: (December 26 to January 31)
- Murray Park - Main Parking Lot(east of Park Center/west of Park Office)
- Grant Park - Four Diamonds(west lot off Valley Drive)
- Remove all decorations, stands, and plastic bags
- PLEASE NO ARTIFICIAL TREES
- "From December 26th through January 15th, Christmas trees can be dropped off 24/7 at:
- Public Works Facility (72 E. Sivogah Court - 14525 S.)
- Longbranch Trailhead, at the intersection of Longbranch Drive (1690 E.) and Deer Ridge Road (15090 S.).
- Only real, un-flocked trees, that are fully stripped of lights and ornaments, can be accepted."
- "Following the winter holidays, South Jordan Public Works offers two options for Christmas tree disposal. See this year’s dates.
- South Jordan provides a free Christmas Tree Drop-off at City Park located at 1850 West 10960 South (west of tennis courts).
- Trees must be free of all ornaments, lights and other decorations.
- Residents can also schedule a Christmas Tree Pick-up for a $10 fee. Tree must be placed near the road, and must have all lights, ornaments and other decorations removed.
- To schedule an appointment click here"
- Tree drop sites available through Jan. 27. Click here for a list.
- Various "treecycling" sites available through Jan. 11. Click here for a list.
- After Jan. 11, they can be taken to the green waste facility at the Logan Landfill for no charge.